Death of Japanese Climber on Everest Raises Toll This Month to 3

Irving Hamilton
May 22, 2018

The 36-year-old Japanese climber Nobukazu Kuriki who had lost his nine fingertips due to frostbite died on Monday while trying to climb the Mount Everest.

Gjeorgi Petkov, from Republic of Macedonia, breathed his last above Camp III on Mt Everest after he suffered a cardiac arrest while heading for Yellow Band to prepare for the final summit push, Kami Nuru Sherpa, a base camp manager, told THT.

Nepali men carry the body of Japanese climber Nobukazu Kuriki onto a helicopter after it was recovered from Mount Everest. A team member wrote on Kuriki's Line blog that the climber began to feel ill around the 7,400-meter mark and started to descend. He was found dead while sleeping in a tent at camp 2, which is at 24,278 feet. The Japan Times reported that Kuriki slipped and fell, and earlier reports said he was found dead in his tent.

Mr. Gurung, the expedition organizer, said Mr. Kuriki had also died near Camp Three.

Nepali mountaineer Kami Rita Sherpa spinds prayer wheels at Boudhanath Stupa where he has a rented room on the outskirts of Kathmandu.- Two Nepali Sherpas broke their own world records for the most Everest
Image Kami Rita is from a family of mountaineers many of whom have climbed Everest

Some 340 foreign climbers and their Sherpa guides are attempting to scale the world's highest mountain this month and many succeeded in the past week during a period of good weather.

Around 400 people have so far reached the summit of Everest as the busy spring climbing season - which runs from April to May - gets into full swing.

Kuriki was known to post images online while climbing mountains.

BC-AS-Nepal-Everest, 2nd Ld-Writethru, 189Japanese and Macedonian climbers die on Mount EverestAP Photo XNS102, XNS101, XNS104, XNS102Eds: Updates with bodies flown to Kathmandu.

Mikel Arteta set for Arsenal talks on Thursday
The Spanish coach has made it clear he will not stand in Arteta's way should he want to take the job at the Emirates Stadium. Arsenal held talks with Arteta on Thursday about becoming their new manager, Sky Sports News understands.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article