Florida man kills four children and himself after police standoff

Blanche Robertson
June 13, 2018

One man and four children are dead after a standoff of more than 20 hours, Orlando police Chief John Mina said.

Orlando police Chief John Mina said at a press conference just before midnight that the suspect, who was identified as 35-year-old Gary Wayne Lindsey Jr., was found dead in a closet when officers entered the apartment almost 24 hours after the standoff began.

They had gone to the apartment in response to a domestic violence call from Lindsey's girlfriend.

During a 3:00 p.m. news conference Monday, more than 14 hours after the standoff began, Mina told reporters he believed the children were still alive. That's when the police made a decision to do an explosive breach on the apartment, Mina said.

Mina said it was still unclear when the four children, two of whom belonged to suspect Gary Wayne Lindsey, 35, were shot to death.

"We have no idea when those poor children lost their lives". He added that law enforcement had worked all day to bring the standoff to a peaceful resolution, but unfortunately it was a "tragic and sad" ending.

"It's clear that he continues to heroically act in the interest of public safety, even now as part of the Orlando Police Department", Bermudez said in a statement.

SWAT team members had just breached windows of the apartment to offer Lindsey one of their phones to use.

"They communicated with him through a variety of methods - we communicated through friends and relatives, we communicated through social media, we communicated through his phone which was challenging at times because it was a Wi-Fi phone and connection was very bad at times".

When officers arrived at the apartment, Lindsey opened fire.

United Kingdom justice minister resigns over Brexit ahead of key votes
Government sources signalled to the Press Association that ministers were set to back the move. What is the EU Withdrawal Bill? Conservative MPs keen to retain the changes.

The baby's mother called police in April 2012 to report that Lindsey became violent and threatened her at knifepoint as she held their 7-month-old son - who was later killed during the standoff - during an argument over taking the boy to a doctor.

Mina said a police crisis intervention team had been trying to talk Lindsey into surrendering peacefully.

Mina identified the officer shot as Kevin Valencia, a two-year veteran of the Orlando police force. Valencia remained in critical condition Tuesday.

Mina told CNN affiliate WFTV that Valencia, who is in his late 20s and has a wife and two boys, was expected to survive.

The mother met with police outside the complex, authorities said.

Mina said Lindsey had previous arrests for domestic violence and arson.

According to police records, Lindsey had been on felony probation at the time of the hostage incident after having pleaded no contest to charges of arson of a dwelling, willful fleeing or eluding law enforcement, and domestic battery, all of which stem from a 2008 incident involving a woman that Lindsey was in a relationship with. They live across from the complex where the four children were killed.

"We're still asking for your thoughts and prayers for him as well", Mina said. Then, they put him in a patrol vehicle and sped away. Benenati says she also needs to cover expenses to move out of the apartment in Orlando, Florida, where the shootings happened.

"We heard gunshots, and I saw through the window that the policeman was down", neighbour Miguel Lopez said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article