Golovkin and Canelo rematch slated for September

Rex Christensen
June 14, 2018

On Tuesday, Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Alvarez, imposed 12 p.m. PT Wednesday deadline for Golovkin to accept an improved offer.

De La Hoya announced the tentative deal for a mid-September showdown at T-Mobile Arena after weeks of on-again and off-again bargaining by the two fighters' camps.

With Alvarez officially withdrawing from the match in April, Golovkin went on to face Vanes Martirosyan in the scheduled May 5 bout instead, finishing with a second-round knockout.

Golovkin accepted a revenue split, Golden Boy confirmed.

Kardashian West, woman Trump freed say they won't stop now
Speaking about the phone call Kim made to tell her she can go home, Alice says: "I went into full fledge Pentecostal holy dance". Not long ago, an imprisoned Alice Johnson didn't know who Kim Kardashian West was. "And he laughed, and it broke the ice".

It finally looks like we're going to get some closure on one of the most frustrating rivalries in modern boxing as a new date has been set for the rematch between Gennady Golovkin and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

The two fought to a controversial draw in their original matchup in September 16, 2017. Golovkin originally asked for half, then demanded 45 percent, but in the end settled for a little less than he wanted - and a little more than Alvarez wanted to give.

Golovkin's WBA (super) and WBC world titles will be on the line. Brooklyn's Jacobs and Ukraine's Derevyanchenko are trained by the same man, Andre Rozier, but Keith Connolly, who manages Derevyanchenko and Jacobs, told BoxingScene.com last week they would be willing to fight for the IBF title (https://www.boxingscene.com/manager-if-not-canelo-jacobs-fight-derevyanchenko-next-128907). Not only did the much hyped bout fall through, Canelo was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for six months, meaning he was effectively out of the fight game for half a year.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER