Governor saddened by fatal Massachusetts police shooting

Blanche Robertson
July 16, 2018

Weymouth police officer Michael Chesna and an elderly woman died early Sunday morning from gunshot wounds when the suspect, Emmanuel Lopes, took the officer's gun and fired following a vehicle crash and a foot chase.

Authorities say Weymouth officer Michael Chesna was shot multiple times before 8 a.m. Sunday, and died from the injures at South Shore Hospital. The unidentified woman was fatally wounded by stray bullets in a nearby home. "He is expected to be arraigned Monday on two counts of homicide".

Lopes reportedly crashed the auto he was driving and fled on foot around 7:30 a.m, Norfolk County assistant district attorney Greg Connor told media. When the officer drew his gun and commanded Lopes to stop, the suspect allegedly attacked Chesna with the stone and struck him in the head.

According to WCVB, Chesna is survived by a wife and two children, ages 4 and 9.

According to Fox News, 42-year-old officer Michael Chesna was pursuing suspected vandal Emanuel Lopes when the man wrecked his vehicle and fled on foot.

A man accused of fatally shooting a MA police officer with the officer's own weapon and an innocent bystander is scheduled to be arraigned Monday on murder charges.

Lopes sustained injuries that were not life-threatening and was transported to a local hospital, according to reports.

Rebels, families begin evacuating Syria's Daraa city
The AFP correspondent said hundreds of fighters and a few of their relatives had boarded around 15 buses which had then set off. They usually follow ferocious military campaigns and sometimes stifling sieges that effectively force rebels to surrender.

The identity of the woman shot in her home has not been released pending family notification.

In fact, I was speaking with his mom this morning and she told me he joined the military to help open the doors to get on this job [as a police officer]'.

A neighbor told CBS Boston she hear shots around 7:30 a.m. 'It does happen everywhere'.

The New England Patriots owner was seen in the Weymouth Police Department on Sunday afternoon, offering his condolences. 'You can see that in the emotions of the officers here today.

"This is an bad day for Weymouth and for Massachusetts, " District Attorney Michael W. Morrissey said in a statement.

The Norfolk District Attorney's Office says it can not release more information on the suspect's 'past court involvement ' prior to court Monday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article