Celtic rejects approach from Fulham for central defender

Rex Christensen
August 9, 2018

Speaking on the eve of his side's vital Champions League qualifier against AEK Athens, the Celtic manager seemed firm on his stance that the player would remain in Glasgow.

Fulham, who are looking to strengthen their squad ahead of their first season back in the Premier League, want to sign the 27-year-old but Celtic are unwilling to sell him at this point.

Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad claimed that Fulham had submitted a bid of £9 million for the former Manchester City youngster and today, the Daily Mail reports that a second, improved offer, of £12 million will also be made.

"He has been a fantastic player for me in my time here and he had an excellent World Cup when he played".

It's unclear whether the player's post referred to the rejected bid from Fulham or was unrelated and just coincidental timing.

Ant McPartlin breaks silence to send love to terminally ill fan
Since then McPartlin has returned to rehab for a second time, after he was convicted of drink-driving following a three-car collision he caused.

When asked if Celtic would be unwilling to consider any more bids for him, Rodgers said: "No, because it would be very hard for us to replace him at this late stage".

He could be back in Rodgers' team after the weekend Premiership trip to face Hearts, by which time promoted Fulham will have started their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace.

Brendan Rodgers, though, doesn't seem keen to let the player go.

"He is a player that we clearly wanted to bring here", said Rodgers.

"So we have to wait and see on that one".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER