Wisconsin woman dies from rare illness after being licked by a dog

Desiree Burns
August 13, 2018

Sharom died two days later. They say the bacteria, found in the saliva of most dogs, cats, even some humans, is rarely problematic and nearly never deadly. Is there a need to worry about these supposedly very rare infections?

'I was told she could get struck by lightning four times and live, win the lottery twice, ' her husband Dan Larson told NBC affiliate TMJ4. Now, it is revealed that in the same month that he had the ordeal, a Wisconsin woman lost her life just days after being nicked by her dog.

Capnocytophaga is a bacteria that dogs or cats can spread to humans through close contact - such as a bite or lick.

'I feel like I got robbed. "My best friend", he told WTMJ-TV.

In June, another Wisconsin resident, Greg Manteufel, contracted the rare blood infection as well, also from a dog lick.

When bruising appeared on his arms and legs, the West Bend man was rushed to the emergency room. They say she developed the same infection and it killed her. The next week, his blood pressure dramatically plunged - and doctors were forced to cut off his legs and forearms to increase circulation, according to a report.

Stephen Curry donates $25K to aid Web.com golfer, wife
Harrington isn't on tour at the moment as he takes time away to be with her after she was diagnosed in May for a second time. Curry made his amateur debut at the same tournament a year ago , shooting 74 on both Thursday and Friday, missing the cut.

The species that are found in the oral cavity of dogs and cats, especially C. canimorsus, have been associated with severe sepsis following dog bites or cat scratches.

Symptoms usually appear within one to eight days of exposure, but mostly on the second day.

Infection can usually be treated effectively with antibiotics but there can be long-term side effects including amputation from gangrene, heart attack, and kidney failure.About 30 percent of all those infected die.

She was just 58 years old.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Capnocytophaga is a common bacteria that can normally be found in the mouths of dogs and cats. While passing the bacteria onto humans is possible and may cause illness, such cases are said to be rare and often occurs in those who have had their spleens removed or those with compromised immune systems such as those who drink alcohol excessively, or those with HIV or cancer.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER