Newlyweds killed in helicopter crash hours after wedding

Blanche Robertson
November 9, 2018

William Byler and Bailee Ackerman Byler, both 24, died in the crash after they were married in Texas on November 3.

The helicopter was owned by the family of William Byler and Lawrence had been a pilot for the family for years.

"We sent them off with something that they will remember", said Jacob Martinez, who helped with the couple's send-off and filmed the video.

Along with the college sweethearts, 76-year-old pilot Gerald Green Lawrence was killed.

They got married on Saturday night at a large Byler family ranch near Uvalde and left on board a Byler family helicopter after the reception.

Craig Hatch, an air safety investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, said during a news conference Monday that wreckage is strewn across the hillside that rises above rugged terrain about 80 miles west of San Antonio.

Thousand Oaks victims include college student and law enforcement officer
Helus , a Moorpark resident, was a 29-year veteran of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office who leaves behind a wife and son. The channel also said aerial footage had showed paramedics performing CPR on a person who appeared unresponsive.

Friends are identifying the victims of a Sunday morning helicopter crash in Uvalde.

The Houstonian, a student newspaper for Sam Houston State University, reported that the victims are newlywed couple Will Byler and Baillee Ackerman Byler.

The couple got into a family helicopter and crashed into a hill about a mile away, according to the friend's social media post.

The video, obtained by CBS San Antonio affiliate KENS, shows the couple approaching the helicopter, which was taking them to their honeymoon.

An emergency locator transmitter was discovered at the crash site, but it was unclear whether it had been activated or whether the pilot made a mayday call before the crash, Hatch said, adding that there was no fire at the location.

Investigators plan to retrieve the wreckage before performing their close inspection, but "getting back there with a trailer and truck and with people to lift the helicopter is going to be hard", Mr Hatch said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article