Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal call off Saudi Arabia match

Rex Christensen
November 10, 2018

When questioned whether that was because Nadal was injured, the new world number one said "yes".

Novak Djokovic confirmed on Friday that his controversial exhibition match against Rafael Nadal in Saudi Arabia is off because the Spaniard is injured.

Djokovic and Nadal had expressed doubt as to whether they would play the December 22 match as Saudi Arabia is under growing pressure from the worldwide community following the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi after he entered Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Nadal and Djokovic committed to the event over a year ago and were under pressure to pull out after Amnesty International condemned the plans following the recent death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Diego Luna to star in "Star Wars" TV series
Yes, that means there's more MCU material for you to watch, but this time it is actually a good - potentially great - thing. The series was being made for Disney + with a release date yet to be determined, the company said in a release.

Nadal confirmed on Monday that he will miss the season-ending ATP Finals and that his season is over due to injury.

"It was a complicated year, very good at the tennis level when I was able to play and at the same time very bad as far as injuries are concerned", Nadal said in a statement earlier this week. So we are looking about how evolves the situation and I hope the things will clarify as soon as possible'. 'And it's unfortunate that we are both drawn into this right now.

"However, since the problem in the abdominal muscle also prevents me from playing in London, we take advantage of the moment to remove the free body and avoid future problems".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER