One dead, multiple injured in Melbourne stabbing

Blanche Robertson
November 10, 2018

Hassan Khalif Shire Ali was shot dead by police after carrying out a confirmed terror attack yesterday, killing one and injuring two.

Victorian police chief commissioner Graham Ashton told a press conference that the suspect drove a pickup truck to a location on a busy Melbourne street and set the vehicle on fire.

Just after 5.20pm (local time), a body was seen lying under a white sheet on Bourke Street, near the entrance to Russell Place.

Victoria's Premier Daniel Andrews praised members of the public for stepping in.

Bourke Street reopened on Saturday morning, and a Reuters reporter said there was an increased police presence in the area. Though the erratic gunman demanded that police deliver him an Islamic State flag at the outset of the crisis, there was no evidence he had established contact with the militant group.

He at that time produced a knife and attempted to attack the police officers.

At one, a modest one-story brick house on the city's western fringe, armed officers wearing masks stood guard outside.

The Daily Mail reported the burning truck was packed with gas cylinders, of the type that might be connected to a barbecue grill, which suggests the attacker was attempting to create a larger explosion. He was shot by police and died in hospital.

The investigation is still in its early stages, but Ashton said police do not believe there is a "ongoing threat".

The area has been cordoned off, police said. He moved to Australia in the '90s from Somalia, and had a record of "minor" offenses, including marijuana use, some driving offenses and theft.

"We also take this opportunity to thank those very courageous and dedicated members of Victoria Police who did all of us proud in their very quick response in very unsafe circumstances", Andrews said.

Destiny 2: Forsaken hasn't met Activision's sales expectations
He says that although players think they're staying dormant but they're "hoping now is the time to work and bring players back in".

Witnesses said the attacker stabbed the victim, believed to be aged in his 60s, in the face. Two other men, aged 26 and 58, are in a hospital with what police describe as non-life threatening injuries.

One witness, Sarah Krug said she was heading to the night noddle markets when "all hell broke loose".

Police work at the crime scene following a stabbing incident in Melbourne on 9 November 2018.

At one point, the man is knocked off his feet.

There was a man and two police officers trying to calm him down.

"He was breathing and he was bleeding out".

Shire Ali was shot by police and later died in hospital.

A police statement said: "Police are aware of an incident in the vicinity of Bourke Street".

The officers retreated to the other side of the road as the bearded attacker, who had a shaved head and was dressed in a long brown tunic, pursued them.

VideoThe man who took on a terrorist while only armed with a shopping trolley has spoken exclusively to 7 News.

The attack on Bourke Street horrified hundreds of onlookers during the afternoon rush hour in Australia's second-biggest city.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article