Tiger Woods Reportedly Turned Down $2.5m Offer to Play Saudi Tournament

Rex Christensen
November 10, 2018

Tiger Woods turns down $3mn to withdraw from Saudi leg of tour amid Khashoggi death Golf's 14-time major victor Tiger Woods has turned down a record fee - believed to be $3 million - to withdraw from the Saudi leg of the European tour in the wake of the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey in October.

Tiger The golf star has reportedly turned down his biggest ever potential overseas pay packet amid global outrage over Jamal Khashoggi's killing.

But he said no to the Saudi International, according to the report.

However, fellow American golfers Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed, along with Englishman Paul Casey, are all set to sign up to the European Tour event in the coming weeks.

Turkish officials concluded that Saudi agents awaited Khashoggi and killed him inside the consulate, removing his head and fingers in the process.

However Riyadh's world standing has been tainted since then, following the murder of Washington Post journalist Khashoggi inside the Istanbul consulate in October.

Woods hasn't commented publicly on why he turned down the pay day, but he doesn't need the money, nor does he need the bad press.

Ariya Jutanugarn leads Blue Bay LPGA by 4 shots
Top-ranked Ariya Jutanugarn shot a 4-under 68 to take a four-stroke lead at the halfway point of the Blue Bay LPGA tournament. LPGA Tour victory in the final round on Saturday and will play in the last group with Ariya, the No. 1-ranked golfer.

Athletes and entertainers have pulled out of recent events in Saudi Arabia amid backlash against the country's government.

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) chose to go ahead with a Riyadh event last week, prompting some fans to accuse it of accepting "Saudi blood money".

Tennis player Roger Federer last month said he had turned down an offer to participate in an exhibition match to be held in Saudi Arabia in December.

Both Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were to play each other at the event, but Djokovic announced Friday that he would be dropping out because of an injury to Nadal.

Nor, for that matter, did WWE wrestler John Cena, who recently dropped out of an event in Saudi Arabia despite originally being slated to compete in Jeddah.

"I can simply say that the Saudi International is on our schedule for 2019. The Middle East is very important to the European Tour".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER