Satellite photos expose secret North Korean missile facility expansion

Blanche Robertson
December 6, 2018

CNN said while the missile base has always been known to USA intelligence agencies and analysts, the satellite images show construction on a new facility just miles away from the older site that had not been previously publicly identified.

"Satellite images show that the base remains active", an institute report states, CNN reported.

Trump said on Saturday he hoped to hold a second meeting with Kim early next year and U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said the lack of progress with North Korea made a second summit necessary, likely to be held in January or February. In November, the New York Times reported that North Korea was still working on its nuclear missile program at more than a dozen hidden bases, according the Sakkonmol Missile Operating Base, which is about 85 miles from the Demilitarized Zone that separates North and South Korea.

President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

"Construction on the previously unidentified site has continued even after the Singapore Summit" between Kim and President Donald Trump in June, Jeffrey Lewis of the Middlebury Institute, one of the analysts that identified the site, told CNN.

Snowball fights now legal in Colorado town after boy’s quest
He delivered a presentation on the subject to a local town board, who backed his message on Monday night. Brooke Best told HuffPost her son initially asked her to lead the charge to have the law changed.

In a statement the Pentagon said: "We watch North Korea very closely but we can not discuss intelligence".

In recent months, North Korea has announced the testing of an unspecified "newly developed ultra-modern weapon" and reports have repeatedly revealed it is continuing to develop its nuclear and missiles programmes. "We continue to support the diplomatic process".

"That's why I think the president thinks that another summit is likely to be productive", added President Trump's National Security Advisor John Bolton.

The State Department declined to comment to the news outlet.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER