Girl who encouraged boyfriend to kill himself jailed

Blanche Robertson
February 8, 2019

"By her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim's death by suicide", the ruling concluded.

Carter opted against a jury trial, leaving her fate in the hands of Judge Lawrence Moniz, who found her guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

"We are disappointed in the Court's decision, which adopts a narrative that we do not believe the evidence supports".

She bombarded Conrad Roy with texts which prosecutors say led directly to his suicide. They used to discuss a lot of ways of how to kill oneself. Roy had previously attempted suicide, and Carter had planned to seek treatment for an eating disorder.

Prosecutors at trial presented evidence showing that Roy briefly left the vehicle after he began to be overwhelmed by the fumes, but returned after Carter, who spoke with him by phone, urged him to "get back in".

"I think she needs to be held responsible for her actions 'cause she knew exactly what she was doing and what she said", Roy told "48 hours" correspondent Erin Moriarty. "The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it!"

The court differentiated Carter's case from one involving end-of-life discussions between a doctor, family member or friend, or a terminally ill adult confronting hard personal choices. They discussed methods, including carbon monoxide poisoning.

Scotland’s weather: Strong winds and heavy rain set to cause disruption
The Road Safety Authority is advising motorists, warning them "to expect the unexpected". The Coast Guard has asked the public to "heed the warnings and take appropriate action".

He filled his parked truck with carbon monoxide from a generator he had hooked up to it.

He was 18 when he died. At the time, Carter was 17 and about a month out of a psychiatric hospital.

Carter, who was 17 when Roy died, "helped plan how, where, and when" her boyfriend would kill himself, "downplayed his fears about how his suicide would affect his family" and "repeatedly chastised him for his indecision", the judges found.

Carter was sentenced to 15 months for involuntary manslaughter, a ruling that Massachusetts' highest court has upheld.

The judge said Carter, now 22, had a duty to call the police or Roy's family when she knew the 18-year-old meant to kill himself.

"This conviction exceeds the limits of our criminal laws and violates free speech protections guaranteed by the MA and U.S. Constitutions". "She did not call the police or Mr. Roy's family. If allowed to stand, Ms. Carter's conviction could chill important and worthwhile end-of-life discussions between loved ones across the Commonwealth", ACLU Massachusetts said. "It has very troubling implications, for free speech, due process, and the exercise of prosecutorial discretion, that should concern us all".

In its ruling, the state high court said it failed to see the merit in the defense argument that Carter's texts were protected speech.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article