Marines Killed In Afghanistan Based Out Of Fort Devens

Blanche Robertson
April 13, 2019

Three American service members and a USA contractor were killed when their convoy hit the roadside bomb on Monday near the main US base in Afghanistan, the US forces said.

"The decorated 15-year-veteran of the department is truly one of New York City's Bravest - running into danger to protect and defend others, both in New York City and in combat overseas", Mayor Bill de Blasio wrote.

Slutman and fellow firefighters "forced open the door to the fire apartment and were met with a high heat condition and dense, black smoke, from floor to ceiling", the department said when his medal was awarded.

"Christopher Slutman is an American hero, a NY hero, and we mourn his loss today", de Blasio said Tuesday at a press conference.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for Monday's attack.

"We will continue our mission", Gen. Scott Miller, the commander of United States and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement on Tuesday.

FDNY Firefighter Christopher Slutman, 43, died in Afghanistan

Slutman, Hines and Hendriks died when their vehicle was hit with an improvised explosive device near Bagram Air Base in Parwan province.

A somber ceremony was held Tuesday near Slutman's firehouse, Ladder 27 in the Bronx, and members of Ladder 17, where he previously worked, also came to pay their respects.

The mayor ordered flags across the city lowered to half-staff in his honor Tuesday morning.

"We feel and mourn the loss of these Americans with their families and loved ones".

Slutman, who lived in Yonkers with his wife and three children for years, most recently lived in Wilmington, Delaware, and commuted to NY to work, according to News 4.

"It affects, I think, everybody, everybody once you lose somebody, especially when you kind of knew them, in your neighborhood".

Jallianwala Bagh massacre centenary: PM Modi pays tributes
Many are demanding apology from Britain for the gruesome mass murder that took place a century ago. But the British Government has never offered a formal apology for this most heinous of acts.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER